Spiced Lamb with Coconut ||
This week has been #LoveLambWeek celebrating all things fabulous about lamb. Some people have been put off in the past by a strong taste but this tends to be less of a problem now and the different cuts allow you to make it as easy, comforting or exotic as you want. We grabbed a moment of sunshine to barbecue chops this week, but one of our all time fallbacks is Mary Berry's warming Spiced Lamb with Coconut for one-pot ease and clean plates. It's a mild mix of flavours and good enough for informal entertaining as much as a family supper:
Mary Berry's Spiced Lamb with Coconut
1kg lamb neck fillet, trimmed an cut int 2.5 cm cubes (we have also used diced leg or shoulder)
1tbsp sunflower oil
1 large Spanish onion, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1tbsp plain flour
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml lamb or chicken stock
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2tbsp mango chutney
60g creamed coconut, chopped
250g Greek yoghurt
coriander sprigs, to garnish
salt and black pepper
2.5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1tbsp ground cumin
1tbsp ground coriander
1tbsp mild curry powder
1. Toss the meat in the spice mix, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Melt the butter with the oil in a large flameproof casserole. When the butter is foaming, add the lamb in batches and cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes until browned all over.
3. Lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Lower the heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until soft but not coloured.
4. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the tomatoes, stock, lime zest and juice, and chutney, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring.
5,. Return the lamb to the casserole, add the coconut, and bring back to the boil. Cover and cook in a pre-heated over at 160 degrees (140 fan, Gas3) for two hours or until the lamb is tender.
6. Stir in the yoghurt and taste for seasoning. Garnish with coriander before serving.
There's loads of other inspiration for cooking with lamb here.